Saturday, June 28, 2014

~A Story About A Loser And Some Grace~

There once was a mother
Who lived in a shoe
She had so many children
She didn't know what to do.
Okay, so, she lived in a house actually, 
but blamed her occasional crazy brain on her four sweet, but oh so busy little chickens.
One day, three weeks before the date, 8 year old Daughter got the cutest invitation from her sweet, Mother approved, most wonderful little school friend. 
Friend's birthday party was on Saturday, June 28. It was tennis and swimming. 
An event not to be missed.
8 year olds, may I remind you, think birthday parties are the best things in life.
Daughter, who loves Friend oh so much, talked and planned for weeks.
What to wear, what gift to purchase…
"Mother, she is just so sweet. I do love her so."
At last, the day came.
It was Saturday.
Mother even told friends that she couldn't go to a play because she had the pleasure of toting Daughter to and from the much anticipated birthday party.
"When can we leave to buy Friend her gift? What do you think I should get her? Is it time to go yet?"
Mother, making lunch for two of her little chickens, replied,
"Bring me Friend's invitation so I can decide what time we need to leave."
The invitation was as cute as anything she'd ever seen. 
Pink and green.
Cute little tennis rackets on the front.
She smiles to herself because she knows how excited Daughter is and scans down for the address.
Come celebrate….blah blah…tennis….swimming….blah blah….
and then…..
oh…..then…….
NO!!
Her heart drops to her feet.
Her hand covers her mouth, her eyes close in horror.
"What, mother? What?!"
"Oh, Daughter! Oh. My. Word."
Daughter's eyes well up with tears…….and two really big ones, the size that only come from crocodiles, drop to her perfect, rosy little cheeks.
"Did I miss it?"
Mother is fighting tears herself. Could she BE any more lame?
"Baby, it was yesterday. I am a loser and I am so so so very sorry. It was last night……and all this time I thought it was today!! I am so sorry. Oh my goodness. I am so sorry."
Mother grasps Daughter, who is prone to emotional adventures anyway, into her arms, and braces herself for the wailing and gnashing of teeth that is sure to follow.
She feels sick herself. I mean, let's face it.
She is NOT winning Mother of the Year 2014.
She has missed this award several years in a row, now…..once for leaving Son at church.
About 24 seconds pass.
Daughter, with arms still around Mother, looks up with her sparkling, glistening green eyes and says,
"It's okay." 
"It really isn't okay." Mother replies.
Daughter smiles.
"It's okay, Mother. You know I forgive you."
Stunned Mother knows what a miracle this is for this particular Daughter who does NOT like surprises and does NOT do well when things don't go as planned.
"Thank you, Darling. You're right. It IS okay. I promise to get a play date with sweet Friend before school."
"Okay! Is Sister upstairs? I want to go play with her."
Mother was completely humbled by the grace extended to her by her daughter.
Grace given when it was difficult.
Evidence of God working in the heart of her child…..is there anything better?
And they all lived happily ever after……..in complete imperfection, full of mess-ups, mistakes, and I'm-sorries. 



~stacey








1 comment:

  1. o the joy when you see something in your child that you know is of God!!!!

    ReplyDelete