Monday, February 10, 2014

~All You Sweet Young Mothers~

Today I had brief encounters with two different young mothers.

Both of these sweet Mamas  quickly took me back to those days.
I've heard it called "baby soup".
For me, it was about 2004 to 2008.

It's those fleeting years, that when you're there, seem never to end. You are completely consumed by babies, toddlers, diapers, potty training, toys, nap time, pacifiers, cribs, car seats, and special blankets that you'd better not misplace.
It's the time your closet is a revolving door of clothes. It's contents include the pre-baby cute jeans, maternity clothes, that at first, are SO much fun to buy. Then there are the 37 to 41 week maternity clothes that are too huge to even talk about. You have the post baby clothes that for a while, consist mostly of pajama pants and husband's t-shirts. There's an abbreviated selection of, "I'm dying to wear real clothes, but really want to get back in my normal clothes, so I'll just buy this and this that will enable me to go to Target in something other than sweats" clothes. And if you're lucky, you just might cycle back around to those pre-baby cute jeans.

Mama #1 was one I didn't know. I just happened to get behind her in the check out line at the grocery store. It was crowded, she had a cart full, I had a cart even more full. She had a happy four year old, and a less than thrilled two year old on her hip. My kids were not with me. I found myself staring and smiling at her, vividly remembering being in the same shoes. You just need more hands and you SO need to get the heck OUT of the store as soon as possible to get that sweet two year old some food and a nap. As I helped her unload the heavy stuff from underneath her cart to the belt, I was struck by her patience. We talked a little and she said, "He's just having a bad day. You know, it used to bother me when they cried but it really doesn't anymore. It's just the way it is." She calmly stroked his head, gave him a strawberry out of her stash she was buying, and handled that frazzled moment with such sweet grace.

Mama #2 is a sweet girl from church who just had baby boy number 3. Avery and I rang her doorbell, hands full with supper. I heard squeals and little feet stampeding to the front door. Little faces were soon pressed against the window and I heard, "YAY!!!" I don't think they had any idea who I was or what I was bringing, but those cute, energetic boys were e.x.c.i.t.e.d.!!!
Grandma was there, helping hold the fort down, mama looked beautiful, and baby #3 was tiny and precious. It was loud and cozy all at the same time. Those boys were flying around that house, screaming, and pushing trucks like there was no tomorrow.
Sweet Mama asked the boys to please go color.
I just smiled because little does she know, I'm right at home in the "baby soup" chaos.

I'm only a few years removed from this sweet, exhausting, all consuming season, but if I could hug all you young Mamas and tell you these things, I would.

1. What you do is really, really important. It's all done in secret, nobody really sees you, which is the very thing that I believe makes God extra proud.
You know the verse about if you've done it for one of the least of these, you've done it unto Me? You, my friends, are serving "the least of these". These precious, selfish, fussy, pooping babies and toddlers.
My heavenly Father sees your exhaustion, your tears, and your never ending piles of laundry and dishes. He knows and He's the only One that really matters. He's the One your serving.

2. Be okay with saying no to other things. Even good things. Don't feel guilty or like you should be doing more.......maybe you shouldn't be doing more than what you are doing. Maybe your hands are full. It's a short season. I promise. Know your limits. Your husband needs some of you too.

3. Lower your standards. Like a lot. Really a lot. Cleanish is clean enough. Happy is better than perfect.

4. Take refuge in the evenings. Put those sweet things to bed early and use your evenings to recharge. It's an important time of the day. Take a peek at those same sweet things sleeping before you go to bed. That mental snapshot really helps when tomorrow comes, and it's all go, no quit.

5. Two hours out, all alone, will do you a world of good. Know when you're about to loose it.
I remember on a few occasions, meeting Brad at the door at about 6:00 pm, keys in hand, passing off a child, and saying, "Honey, I'm sorry, but I have got to get out of here. Just a couple hours. I have to go somewhere...anywhere.....just somewhere alone."
He had the wisdom to just know and said nothing more than, "Sure. Okay. Yeah, go. Take off. I got this." I came back from Starbucks, Target, or wherever,  a new woman. Ready to go again....and so very grateful.

You are a special breed in a special season of life. 
I pray grace and strength for you. 
I pray for lots of laughter and contented joy. 
Run your race. 
Fine tune your focus on what God has for you right now. 
Don't get distracted or discontent with where you are. 
Don't look left or right. 
No one else can do your tasks at hand. 






~stacey



4 comments:

  1. Oh...yes, those years are so fleeting. I absolutely LOVE what you wrote here.
    I am out of that stage now..I even have two babysitters living in my house! It's bittersweet.
    My baby is turning 8 next month..I can't believe it. I just can't believe it!
    Beautiful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you! I think that's what got me yesterday.....I remember it well, and maybe I'm a little sad to see it go??? Every year is better and better for me so far. Each season has it's own blessings and challenges. It's just going by a little too quickly. ;-)

      Delete
  2. o my thank you!!!!! your words blessed this overwhelmed and frustrated heart :) thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your day is WoNdeRfulL!! .....and yes, I am familiar with feeling overwhelmed. hang in there! :-)

      Delete