Friday, December 16, 2011

~Milk In A Bag~


Friday, December 16, 2011

~Milk In A Bag~

I'm in the grocery store.
I've suffered through the process of grabbing eggs, milk, bread, bananas, chicken, sour cream, cereal, coffee creamer, peanut butter, Pringles, ground beef, noodles, yogurt, and pistachios for Brad's stockingheart
I'm tired of being there. I dread putting it all in the car, putting it all out of the car, putting it all in cabinets and refrigerator, and putting all the plastic bags somewhere. 
Then the question comes. Without fail, just about every clerk does it to me. 
She looks down, almost condescendingly, over the rim of her glasses as she stops the scanning process and asks,
"Do you want your milk in a bag?"
I feel like she should say,
"Ahem. If you have no concern for the environment, if you are so wasteful as to require TWO plastic bags for your TWO gallons of milk that ALREADY have handles on them, then I suppose I will reluctantly put them in bags for you. So, would you like your milk in a bag?"
My response is almost always the same. I keep loading things on the belt, make no eye contact, and respond,
"Nah. It's okay."
Knowing the whole time,
I WANT MY MILK IN A BAG!!! Is that too much to ask? 
So next time, when that question comes around, I plan on looking at the clerk, straight through her glasses, dead in the eyeball and say,
"Yes please." 

    


 Contentment vs. Covetousness Realizing that God has provided everything I need for my present happiness (I Timothy 6:8)
A valuable lesson. Especially this time of year. We've been talking about it and I continually remind myself of this. 
How much stuff is enough?
Someone will always have more than you.
There's always more to get.
It doesn't bring a lick of happiness.
Just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I should afford it.
What's reasonable? Am I being generous to others? Am I teaching my kids delayed gratification?
A wise man once said, "Draw a circle around your wealth. (Determine what you "need " to live at a comfortable level") Then give the rest away."
Otherwise, the more you make, the more you spend. 
A song I love says, "Have what you want but want what you have". 


 I got the kids a couple old movies for Christmas and I can't wait. "McClintock" and "Hot Lead and Cold Feet". The Walls are bringing the classics back, baby! laughing
It's rainy. A perfect first day of Christmas break. I plan to stay in and maybe even in pajamas all day. 
Coffee is ready, kids are in the den waiting to start "The Polar Express". 
Enjoying this moment.

~stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment