Monday, November 7, 2011

~Residency Reminiscing~


Monday, November 07, 2011

~Residency Reminiscing~

These nights where kids are in bed and it's just me and a movie, with Brad still at the hospital, I'm taken back to the days of residency.
We left for the midwest immediately after Brad graduated from medical school.
The MIDWEST.
I'm a southern girl. I had never lived more than four hours away from home.
But there we went. 20 hours away. Jake was a little more than two and I was just pregnant.
Crazy five years. Brad worked A LOT.
A LOT.
Really A LOT.
By the end of our third year there, I had a four year old, almost two year old, and an infant.
Still, Brad working A LOT.
I had adjusted though. Life was simple. No where we HAD to be. Our schedule was whatever I decided it to be. I loved that.
I knew then, I had it good. All my little chickens right under my wing. As worn out as I was, life was not complicated.
I was physically drained most of the time. It was all diapers, Baby Einstein, high chairs, more diapers, blowing bubbles in the back yard, trips to Wal-Mart to pass the time, still more diapers, driving through Taco Bueno when I knew Brad wouldn't be home, and yes.....more diapers.
"Baby Soup" as I've heard it called.  And I was in that crazy season without my parents' immediate support. I missed them so much and will always wish they had been closer in proximity then.
But having no one to bail me out, coddle me when I was tired, or count on every second of the day to be there if I winced, meant I grew as a mother. I got tougher in a good way. I learned to dig down deep. I learned I can do what has to be done. I learned that I can care for sick children even when I myself am sick. I learned how to take one day at a time. Today is ALL I have. Appreciate the small things.
I remember hurting my back so badly once, that I had to actually crawl to be able to get around. It was just a little bit before I really connected and formed some close friendships. There was no one yet that I felt like I could call. Thankfully Reese could semi climb out of her crib. I remember being on the floor with my babies, crawling from one of their rooms to the den, frustrated to the point of tears. I'm sure I had a little pity party right there on my den floor. Partially deserved, though.bummed What was I supposed to do? Grandparents were states away, and Brad didn't have the luxury of calling in sick very often.
I do remember one time he called in. He was on a rotation with a really nice attending physician. I was so ill. Body aches, fever, vomiting, and at least two kids to take care of. I'll never forget that morning, Brad had gotten dressed and looked at me in the bed, shook his head and said, "I can't leave you like this. I'm calling Dr. ______"  I'm sure I was a pitiful sight. I was s.i.c.k.
It's almost funny now. Almost. But not.
My life is definitely a little more "cush" now. silly
A husband who's home a lot more. Three of four kids can go to the bathroom without my help. Most nights, I get a full night's sleep. Med school debt is starting to go away. (WOOHOO for that) Parents and siblings are just a few hours from here. If I hurt my back today, I could call one of 10 people to throw me a rope.

Most of my early residency pictures are good old fashion 35 mm. ~~You know, film?~~
These were taken just before we moved back to the southeast. It was a trip to Wyoming that will probably always rank as one of my top favorite trips. Lots of good memories......
  

 ~stacey


No comments:

Post a Comment