Thursday, February 27, 2014

~Complete Rambling~

I think if I ever had to write on a schedule, I'd be destined for failure.
Deadlines and I don't like each other.
Deadlines + Me = Unwanted Pressure.
Like people who write books. Authors ALWAYS write more than one.
I think I'd be so excited to have written ONE, that I'd never do it again.
Maybe not, but I do know for certain that I have very limited creativity.
I'm just creative enough to find myself extremely frustrating.

That being said, one of my dream jobs would be to write for a living.
At this juncture in life, It's not necessary for me to have a paying job, and for this luxury I am very thankful.
I have awe inspiring friends, who work a job, dream or not, AND run a household. They amaze me.

Moving on.

One of my precious, (but not a lover of spelling) children, is in a spelling bee tomorrow.
Ironic is a word that comes to mind. I-r-o-n-i-c.
I would not call this child my best speller. At all.
However, as luck would have it, my child was the alternate, and low and behold, someone dropped out. Figures.
This fun loving, SO responsible for the cat chores, almost ALWAYS responsible for coach directed at home exercises, awesome at math child, has not once studied for this bee tomorrow.
In the last month, I have purposely not reminded, forced, or significantly encouraged this kid to study. Trying to let them fail little now in hopes they may learn and not fail big later.
....ask me in about 10 years how this worked out.
My thoughts on spelling bees and math olympics are these:
***WARNING***  If you're in love with academics, don't read this next paragraph.
I frankly, don't care whether or not my kids are in a spelling bee or math olympics.
*gasp*
If they are naturally inclined to spelling, as I was, then GREAT.
Go for it. Spell your head off.
I will be so proud.
I happen to think that hard work is to be commended but whether or not you are super bright is no different than being beautiful. You either are or you're not.
It's part of the way God designed you. We get no credit for something He did.

I think our society values people's heads more than their bodies, or hearts, or "fix-it" skills or creative ability and I'd like to know why.
Don't get me wrong, my kids are more than smart enough. We just work hard around here.


So yesterday, we had great conversation about character, working hard to represent your school well, and all that that entails. That convo was followed with unforced desperate studying.
So if "we" sit down on the first word tomorrow, then so be it. We've at least learned a little about choices, consequences, and grace.
I, for one, am praying for mercy, because there is definitely an element of luck in a spelling bee. :-) .....and because I'm not afraid to ask for just a little mercy.


Moving on.

You know what is one of the worst smells ever?
Wet peanut butter.
You know when you've made a sandwich for someone and you rinse the knife off?
I HATE that smell.

Moving on.

The other day, Jake told me he wanted to go to New York with me.
Just he and I.
He really loves me.
He also wrote a girl a note today. "I like you" it said.
...So it begins.
God help me love him and let go when the time comes.

missing my Ma today. I found a letter she wrote me while digging through my closet earlier.
in it, she gave me and "emergency" $1 bill so I would never be broke. I think I should frame it.
Such a precious gift this lady was.
Looking forward to seeing her again.
this was the last time I saw her on earth.
I cried a lot that day.

Every day is a blessing!


~stacey





2 comments:

  1. Shuc a graete riter. u mus git yoru speling frm me.
    Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all - the above comment from your dad made me laugh. That is awesome. :-)

    Second of all - Just finished your love story over at Amber's blog and I loved it. Thanks for sharing. Was that your writing deadline?

    Now just to ramble... I loved this: "We get no credit for something He did" True that. I completely agree.
    And your comment about wet peanut butter, too funny!

    ReplyDelete