Monday, November 19, 2012

~In Memory of Ma~


Monday, November 19, 2012

~In Memory of Ma~

What is a legacy?  
I mean a real legacy. 
Does it have to be something big? 
Can only famous people leave legacies? 
Is that something reserved for philanthropists who leave millions of dollars to support a cause? 


legacy
noun
Definition: 1. money or property left through a will; 2. something handed down from one person or generation to another
Synonyms: grant, bequest, gift, bestowal, heritage, inheritance

I can't speak for anyone other than myself but for me, my grandmother left a legacy last night when she passed away. 
She isn't leaving me a monetary gift, I'm not getting a piece of property, or expensive jewelry. 
The legacy she is leaving me is worth far more than anything I can hold in my hand.
She passed down to me a testimony of good character.
She showed me what it looks like to stand during times of adversity. 
She walked through The Great Depression, the loss of a family farm, and the death of her young daughter.
From her, I learned how to be okay with the things you can't control. 

Dear Ma,
I miss you already. I've been missing you about a year though, really.
I am blessed to have lived down the lane from you from 1974 to 1997. 
Going to Harvey's to get chicken that was on sale will always be one of
my very favorite memories. That day, we laughed so much we cried.
Thank you for all those nights I got to spend with you listening to stories
from your childhood. When you dozed off and started to snore, I 
I remember nudging you, "Ma! Wake up. You didn't finish the story!" 
Thanks for showing me how to make biscuits and for keeping me when
I didn't want to go to a conference with Mama and Daddy. 
Thanks for almost always making lunch......I think I'll make some 
salmon croquettes soon.....just because. 
Thank you for your sweet spirit, your fiery side, and for valuing your family.
I love you and can't wait to see you again. 

~In Loving Memory~
Mary Bass Fitzgerald Taylor
November 8, 1909~November 18, 2012



~stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment