Saturday, September 29, 2012

~My October Baby~


Saturday, September 29, 2012

~My October Baby~

October.
It could have been June or July at the latest. I would get out my notebook or paper from my Trapper Keeper and my favorite rainbow pencil, with I'm sure, some cutesy eraser on top and the planning would begin.
Who I wanted to invite.
What games we would play.
What kind of cake.
Who would sit where at the table.
And of course, the things I would ask for. I remember asking for a chimpanzee once and a drum set.
I literally planned my birthday party crazy far ahead and could hardly wait to flip that calendar to my favorite month. ~October~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fast forward nearly 30 years.
Here I sit, the day before the first of October.
What is in the back of my car? Two Hobby Lobby bags full of plates, napkins, balloon sticks, and a host of other birthday things.
My "to do list" today? Get that sample craft made so I can make sure it's actually going to turn out.
Cake ordered.
CANNOT WAIT to go buy that thing and that other thing!! They are the perfect gifts. She will be so excited!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seven years ago, I was just a few days away from giving birth to a healthy baby girl.
When my doctor said, "Well. I am on call then, so that's the day we'll induce you", I thought, that's my birthday! Yay! How cool is that?!
I'm sure that mentally, I briefly went through, oh wait. I'm going to be in labor on my birthday and I'm SO going to loose MY day!
But those thoughts, that are reasonable to all of us selfish human beings, left as quickly as they came.
See, there's some miracle that happens in childbirth. That nearly 9 pound bundle of helpless baby absolutely melts your heart. You would throw yourself in front of a bus for them without any consideration for how that would turn out for you.  That's just it. It's no longer about you.
You have become this other person. Not a super hero. Not perfect. Not completely selfless.
But you genuinely, from the deepest part of your being, care more for their well being than your own. And it doesn't take effort to love them more. You just do.
 ~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~
Avery Elizabeth
Your first name is because I love it and had to have it.
Your middle name is for a wonderful, Godly lady who made Daddy's existence in residency bearable.
Your blond is from your Daddy~ your curls are from me.
Your dramatic, insanely fast entrance into this world is classic and a story I'll never forget.
Your questions crack me up.
Your handwriting is so good.
Your biggest worry right now is that your teacher said you have to learn to tie shoes by December.
You say the funniest things. You really do.
You love when Jake has Byers over.
You have finicky taste buds.
You are an absolute blessing to this family!
~Happy Almost Birthday, Darlin'~


I never commit to the same traditions every year because I'm sure to miss it at some point. This year, however, I told the kids I was doing little photo shoots for each of their birthdays.
I let her help pick out clothes, we used lots of her ideas....she thought she was queen for the day. Even Jake has been asking me when it would be his turn. winky 
Anyway, here are a few from Avery's day:

    
  
     
  





Now, on a selfish note, (after I've talked about how selfless motherhood makes you) I really need Brad to get me another honkin' big Starbucks gift card.
Last year's is just now running out, so, Brad. If you are reading this, I need some more green tea money. Pretty please. laughing

No comments:

Post a Comment