Sunday, August 18, 2013

~Strange But True~

1. Old dogs really can learn new tricks.

Exhibit A:
for THREE WEEKENDS IN A ROW, I have bought the following week's groceries and had bonafide dinners ready at supper time pretty much every night. Don't know if anyone but me has noticed but I feel a lot less spastic, much more satisfied with my job as wife/mother, and the conversations at the table are, as usual, priceless.

Exhibit B:
My newly formed habit that I'm in love with:




They are $1 each, they hold SO much, are easier to get out of my car into the house, and I feel so resourceful. I just about smile every time I grab my bags off the hook in the mud room and head to the store. A tree hugger I am not, but small changes make a difference. which leads me to my next thing....

Exhibit 3:



Recycling DRASTICALLY reduces the amount of waste leaving this household.
For real.
We were a twoHUGEbulgingtrashcans per week people until I realized that the city will happily give you two handy dandy recycling cans to be picked up twice a month.
We are now barelyoneandahalffulltrashcanswithtwonearlyfullrecyclingcans people.
Again. Not a tree hugger but I can't lie! I do like waste reduction.

2. That Touch of Mink, starring Doris Day and Carey Grant, just may be the best movie ever made.
You really should watch it. You and Your Honey.  Put your kids in the bed and get cozy.
(see it FREE if you do a one week trial of amazon prime.....you can watch a million movies. free. forget netflix! ;-) )
I absolutely. love. this. movie.




3.  You really can live in a house six+ months without buying a bit of furniture for it. There's a lot to be said for learning a little about delayed gratification.

4. We survived our first week of school. I think we may actually make it the whole year.
Does anyone remember prime factorization?
.....'Cuz I could teach a class on it. .....I've never in my adult life needed this skill but apparently, it is "fundamental for algebra and ALL math" so I had to learn it. 'cuz I had to teach it. ......so yeah. call me if you need a refresher course.

Brad just asked me to come outside and talk to him while he cleans out his truck. Since we are having fake fall weather, AND he's been at the hospital a fair amount this weekend, I think I will.
Hope your Sunday evening is wonderful and that your week is productive, semi-peacful, full of minimal tears, lots of smiles, and memories made with your family.
~every day is a gift.

~stacey


1 comment:

  1. school for us starts next Monday... hats off to you for surviving the first week? did the kids as well?;) haha.

    i'm not ready for summer to end. but with sarah having started cross country running practice in the mornings, we are already setting our alarm clock. and that feels very unsummerish.

    woohoo to you, learning new tricks! and passing them along in your fun way of writing that you have! <3

    ReplyDelete