Monday, July 22, 2013

~My Birthday Gift To Myself~

Just ordered my birthday present.

Yes I know my birthday isn't until the fall but listen to what I got myself and you'll understand why.

Jake was two when we started residency.

What do you think he loved?

Trains.

He loved anything with wheels but trains were his obsession.
One year for Christmas, he got the Thomas wooden train set and I don't know who was more excited. Me or him. Jake or I. He or me. Whatever. I loved him loving trains. The fact that they were wooden was even better because I have a thing for classic toys. This was a gift I would never put in a garage sale. His babies will play with this train at Honey's house.

So! The next year, and the year after that, and every year after that, what did I want more than anything at Christmas for my growing family?

A clanging, smoking, puffing train to put around our tree. I remember being in Target one year during residency and there it was. A Lionel train set ON THE CLEARANCE END CAP!

After walking around the store with it for who knows how long, non typical behavior overcame me and I put it back. I had a knot in my stomach but I knew I just. shouldn't. buy. it.

See, these were lean years for the Wall household. We didn't have even $100 to spare on frivolous things like train sets.

Fast forward nine years. Wow! Nine years.......maybe I am learning  a little about patience.

2013.

This is the year of the train. My sweet 11 year old hasn't hit puberty yet and by golly, we will have a train chugging happily around our tree this year.
It's cheaper than I've seen anywhere, I got free shipping, AND it'll be here in two days. (which is totally useless because it will stay in the box until the end of November) but still!!!

Happy early birthday to me!


~stacey



2 comments:

  1. We had a small electric train chugging around our tree at Christmas when I was little. Good memories!! Happy early birthday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great birthday present. It looks really nice! Would love to hear about it on your next post. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete