Monday, May 3, 2010

~Some Mothers You Should Know~Part 1


Monday, May 03, 2010

~Some Mothers You Should Know~ Part 1

We first met the nanny. If I'm being honest, when I realized I'd mistaken the nanny for the Mom, my first thought was, Nanny. Hmm. I would love to have a nanny. I wonder why they have a nanny. Maybe they just have a lot of money. Maybe the Mom has an amazing job that she just loves.
I instantly liked Hannah. (Nanny) She was warm, talkative, cute as a button, and obviously a  sweetheart. In that first, five minute conversation, I learned that Heather (Mom) had lost her husband, the father of her four beautiful children, to cancer two years earlier. I left that first meeting curious and a little sick to my stomach. Here was someone living out what most would describe as one of their worst nightmares.A week or so later, I hear a knock on my door. I open it to what would be my first introduction to my new neighbor. There stood Heather, holding a plate of brownies, surrounded by four  pair of little, inquisitive eyes, anxiously peering into my house to see how many kids would surface. She had three boys, a blessed sight for my one son, who begs for brothers. We, on the other hand, were able to provide two eager little girls to play with her only daughter. Ages were perfect, values were amazingly similar, and temperaments were complimentary. Truly a gift from God. We chatted a bit and as she was leaving, she turned and said, "Do NOT send me a thank you note for the brownies. Whoever came up with that idea had too much time on their hands!" From that moment, I knew  we would be friends. 

She is living proof of the grace of God. 
She has a great sense of humor. She laughs a lot.
I'm sure she cries a lot. 
She has made a choice to live in spite of tremendous loss.  
She is both Mommy and Daddy. 
Her strength astounds me.


The other day, they were all five going on a bike ride through the neighborhood. As she rode by, followed by her four, six, nine, and eleven year old, she just smiled at me and said, "This should be interesting." 

That image is forever in my memory and it's such a picture of the way life was meant to be lived. Pushing forward, walking on, despite that fact that it's not all fun. Things may not happen like I want them to. At times, it's guaranteed to be hard, hot, sweaty, and scary. We are going to face things that are way outside our comfort zone. How will I respond to challenges and difficulties that could be debilitating? 
Will I fold up and stick my head in the sand? 

I hope I will be Heather. 
Steadfast, resolute, and full of grace. 

 


~Stacey






No comments:

Post a Comment