Wednesday, October 14, 2009

~New Season~


Wednesday, October 14, 2009

New Season

Life seems to get busier and busier around here. I'm not entirely complaining but most of the time a slower pace suits me just fine.  I know there are seasons and stages of life, the ebb and flow, I just don't want the busy, hectic, and stressful to take a minute away from the fun of life. 

The kids are still little, but I already sense we're just starting to enter a new, more complicated part of this journey. A wise lady once told me that when your babies are small it's very hard physically but so very simple when compared to parenting older children. There are the emotional stresses of how they are being shaped, their self-esteem, their decisions, their hormones, the attitudes, their coming independence, and their spiritual well-being. (Just to name a few!) In just a few conversations with my almost eight year old, I miss the simplicity of the toddler. That being said, I wouldn't trade where I am now....I love hearing his little thought processes and the opportunities I have to attempt to connect with his heart. I'm praying for strong characters to be developed in all the children, that they would know who they really are and why they are valuable. 

More than that, I feel the need to find strength for myself as I parent. To resist worry, fear, and the tendency to over analyze the details, as I so easily do. 

I constantly find myself stuck in the middle of two different though processes:1. You can only do so much with your kids. They're going to make their own choices, so do the best you can and hang on for the ride. They'll probably turn out just fine. 2. Spend every waking moment thinking about, planning, and doing things that train, teach, and train some more. If you, the parent, do it well, your kids will most definitely not waver. So, work, work, work!
Both scenarios leave me a little stressed out and I know the key is probably a combination of the two. 
I think it's time tweak our strategy as we enter phase 2 of parenting school age kids. We may end up years down the road deciding we had the wrong plan but we at least have to have one! I know where to go for answers but I also know God gives us PEOPLE to encourage and share the wisdom they've received.

So, how 'bout it?! Any insight from you Mothers who have done this a little longer than I? Any parenting books I can't go without reading?
 

Here are a few shots of our recent getaway.


~Getting a kayaking lesson from Grandpa~






~I just love her hair~






   
~Getting Ice Cream~




Daddy took her squirrel hunting. She begged to go every morning. I ignored the grossness and took a picture because she was so proud. For those of you who don't care for guns or dead animals, so sorry. Don't mean to offend but if you took away this man's ability to hunt, you would almost take away part of who he is. :)


  
The kittens were almost as good as picking out a pumpkin. I got so tickled with Avery holding  him by his neck and tail. Months ago, when we said we were getting a pet, this is what they imagined. A tiny little something that would never outgrow or bother them!

  







~Attitudes were flying during these shots....we're still works in progress.~
As they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day" Please tell me that's true! :)






Lovin' the fall.....hope you are too!

~Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment