Thursday, July 8, 2010

~Our Week~


Thursday, July 08, 2010

Our Week

We left for our usual get away spot in the mountains to celebrate July 4th.
It's become quite a habit actually. The kids absolutely can NOT wait to get there.
I've thought a lot about what makes it so much fun for them.
It's in the middle of the woods so it's definitely not the exciting entertainment factor. 

 

They have room to stretch their legs. 
To run in the grass, fly on the tree swing, throw a fishing pole in the pond, get in the creek to check their home made dam, and ride the "mountain goat" with Grandpa. 

 

There are a couple  COUNtry cooking restaurants we always visit that they love. 
Shucking and eating corn is always going to happen if we're there when it's warm. 

 

We sit on the porch making smores while being serenaded by bull frogs. 
Cell phones don't work there. It's great. 
Things are quiet. Simple. 





In the car, the kids and I talked about what it means to stand alone.
Doing what you know to be right, no matter what people around you do.
 I sounded like my Dad that day. Talking, talking. 

I hope it gets in somehow. 
I hope their little brains are filing it away, soaking it up.
I can't force their hearts but I can live before them in honesty, humility, and truth. 

 
This little one was all about the fireworks. If I could have gotten my camera and captured her sweet face as she stared in wonder at the exploding sky, I would have.
It was priceless. 


 
Possibly the cutest celebratory high stepping I've ever seen in my life.
Look at his eyes. He was slightly embarrassed but he knew it was funny. 



My brave one. She'll do just about anything. And loves it. 





I've got a million more pictures I would love to post and things I want to say but it's after midnight. The kids and I got home just a few hours ago from a visit with my Mom. My den is full of suitcases and bags that haven't yet made it to their appropriate bedrooms. Imagine it. They don't walk.....I have to take them. *sigh*
I felt like a little mouse, scurrying in to the kitchen after everyone else was tucked in tight to get to my very old laptop. I can hardly wait to transfer my little memories from camera to computer after a week like this. It's a little like Christmas to me.
As for my morning that's almost here, it will look a little something like this:



Then this:



Then I'll get busy.



~stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment